Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stove talk and food thread

3 posters

Go down

stove talk and food thread Empty stove talk and food thread

Post by tracytx Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:08 pm

so i tried my primus gas stove this weekend and everything works well. The whole unit weights 2lbs though. If im going true ultralight than i must use an alcohol stove. The advantage of using gas over alchol is more cooking time, control over flame, slightly larger cooking area.

So, i imagine for light primitive camping (always one day or less away from regular camp area, no more than one night out) the gas will be fine. Any thoughts on when what sort of stove combos we should use. Like if chris brings his canister burner should one of us burn water and the other food? Can two people share a stove?
It'll likely end up where me and chris have entirely separate food systems.

tracytx

Back to top Go down

stove talk and food thread Empty Re: stove talk and food thread

Post by chris Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:21 pm

is the primus the one with the hoses everywhere? one cook system to share between people might be good in certain situations. one stove, maybe one canister per person. but this is really minimal weight/space savings. i kind of think each person should be able to be self sufficient and have their own gear.
chris
chris
Admin

https://glokul.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tracytx Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:32 pm

no, im think alcohol and gas. And you really do save up to two pounds if we each went with alcohol. gas is convenient but you can't justify it if yr going very ultralight.

ultralight is really only necessary for the 3+ day backcountry hikes. I want to give myself the option of going complete hardcore.

For everything we have planned this year we can use gas. But cmon chris, alcohol is the truth for solo camping and we are essentially doing solo camping times two.

tracytx

Back to top Go down

Post by chris Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:06 pm

Well if saving weight was really important, like on a multi-day camping expedition an alcohol stove makes more sense. But since we don't have anything like that lined up yet, it doesn't matter. But, if I did go alcohol, this seems like a good option:

http://www.amazon.com/Trangia-Spirit-Burner-with-Screwcap/dp/B000AR7970/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409627126&sr=8-2&keywords=alcohol+stove

stove talk and food thread Capture06142005124727_pm
chris
chris
Admin

https://glokul.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mrc Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:33 pm

Share a stove. What sucks about the gas stoves are I never know how much is left in the tank. So I have two or three half empties. If you are going super hardcore ultra light, why not just not have a stove. All that camping food Is pre cooked. Just add water, wait a while for it to hydrate. Never tried thus though.

mrc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum